Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What I Want. Pt 1

In the midst of all these band launches and with more options than ever to choose from, I find myself contemplating what I really want from my costume and band next year, and what are possible deal breakers. I decided to use a couple blog posts to compile my Carnival wants and needs, especially as one of my three possible bands will be launching in a little over a week (TRIBE). At the moment the bands I am considering are TRIBE, BLISS and YUMA. Todays post will be the first installment and all about costumes, then I'll do another one later in the week on Customer Service, Vibes etc.


COSTUMES
I want it 'out there', I will not be satisfied by just a pretty costume with beads and feathers (yes Spice I'm talking about you! lol). If I do end up in feathers again I want a backpack/wings, or a collar (or both) but my costume must be 'POW in your face!' with how fab AND TRUE TO THEME it is. And yes for this reason I am considering playing frontline next year. I am also willing to step out of my comfort zone and play in something different. I will admit that I played it safe with Amazon last year. If I had to choose again I would definitely have done Masai Warriors or Mongol Fighters.

I want a belt and NOT a decorated bikini bottom. I may be slim but I still want whatever coverage that belt affords, no matter how little it may be. Plus the belt is way more forgiving of belly fat lol.

Quality-wise I definitely want a costume that lasts. Last year the speed at which my costume fell apart was absolutely ridic. Magnatac is readily available, dearest designers and mas camp workers utilize that instead of the cheap glue alyuh had las year nuh! Plz and thnx.

Now that I know TRIBE's theme is "Take Me To" and I assume that Bliss' theme will be similar as well, I am willing to forgo the feathers for an 'out of the box' maybe solely made of fabric costume. I can usually trust Solange Shaw-Gopaul and Lana Nobrega to bring me something I'll like, but this year Peter Elias is also going to be on my list of designers to look out for.
I think that this is where YUMA may fall short, as the only costumes I liked from their 2010 presentation were Scorpio frontline and Taurus frontline and backline and only Scorpio was 'POW' imo. I will still be on the lookout for the section designed by Richard and Anthony. One of YUMA's teaser pics was designed by them and they also did Taurus last year, so very soon I'll see if I was too hasty in dismissing the costume based on that preview. I do not know who designed Scorpio but I am tempted to think it was also them based on the similarities between TRIBE's Spangled Cotinga of 2009 and YUMA's Scorpio.





















SYNOPSIS
I would like a pretty yet original costume, not the typical beads, bikini, impy skimpy business. A costume that is durable and doesn't have gems dropping off the headpiece while in transit from the mas camp to my house. (TRIBE that's you, better than that). Costume of choice is 50% of my decision making process when selecting my band so for the right get-up I would leave the comfort zone of TRIBE and play with a different band.


Tomorrow's blog post: Customer Service and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment